WARNING:PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT PHOTOS AND MY OTHER INFORMATION RE WINTERHAVEN KENNELS THAT IS ON MY WEBSITE HAS BEEN STOLEN BY A SCAM OPERATION CALLING THEMSELVES MARIAH POM PETS. THEY HAVE TAKEN OTHER INFORMATION FROM 20 OTHER DIFFERENT SITES. THEY TAKE YOUR DEPOSITS, USING OTHER BREEDERS PHOTOS AND INFORMATION AND YOU NEVER GET A DOG OR HEAR FROM THEM. THEY ARE ADVERTISING MANY BREEDS AVAILABLE. SCAM NO PHONE NUMBER BUT HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS AND WEBSITE WWW.MARIAHPOMPETSHOME.NET DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THESE TYPE OF PEOPLE. THE INTERNET IS A WONDERFUL TOOL BUT IT CAN ALSO BE A MINEFIELD OF FRAUD AND CONFUSION.
ANOTHER SCAMMER WHO IS ADVERTISING POMERANIAN/HUSKY ON HTTPS://POMERANIAN-HUSKY.COM LIST OF POMERANIAN BREEDERS. THEY HAVE NEVER BE GIVEN ANY PERMISSION TO USE PHOTOS OR ANY INFO ON MY WEBSITE AND YET THEY HAVE STOLEN ALMOST WORD FOR WORD WHAT I DO HAVE ON MY WEBSITE. I HAVE REQUESTED THEY THEY REMOVE THIS INFO BUT AS YET I STILL SEE IT. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THESE TERRIBLE SCAMMERS. TO PURCHASE A POMERANIAN FROM A NOVICE OPENS YOU TO THE PROBLEMS THAT OFTEN EXIST WHEN THERE IS A GENERAL LACK OF KNOWLEDGE.
SOME TIPS TO SPOT THE SCAMMERS would be advertising TEACUP POMERANIANS, (NO REPUTABLE BREEDER would use that terminology) to describe the tiny Pomeranians they have. Also photos of Pomeranian puppies with flat faces and HUGE EYES! These are photshopped and do not exist in real life.
A trick used by SCAMMERS is to advertise a super low price-often not much above the shipping costs for a puppy, much less enough to cover the Veterinary Checks and Treatments that need to be given before a puppy can be safely sent to it's new home.
Another trick used by the SCAMMERS is to use STOLEN PHOTOS from Show Breeders Websites and Facebook. If the breeder cannot send a picture of the SAME PUPPY or validate their ancestors show awards such as AKC OR CKC CHAMPION CERTIFICATES, then they are most likely a SCAMMER or a breeder of poor quality Pomeranians.
Breeders who claim to have knowledge of the Pomeranian breed will be able to document that knowledge. They will have produced Champions or be working toward that goal, and will have a long-term commitment toward producing healthy, beautiful, sound and intelligent Pomeranians. That is the goal of every responsible breeder. We NOT THE SCAMMERS are the experts-THE LONG-TIME SHOW BREEDERS with real knowledge of and experience in this breed!
SORRY DUE TO ANNOYING TELE A MARKETING USING MY TOLL FREE NUMBER IT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
Thank You for adding a Quality WINTERHAVEN POMERANIAN into your life and home. Excellence is Winterhaven's Standard when offering our puppies.
Please always remember that this Pomeranian will be Your Friend, Your Defender, Your Faithful Dog. You are this Pomeranin's Life, his/her Love, his/her Leader. The Pomeranian you take home will be Yours to his/her's last beat of its heart. You Owe it to him/her to be worthy of such dedication.
WE ARE PROUD TO SHARE OUR BEAUTIFUL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE AVAILABLE TO GO TO NEW HOMES. Please see OUR AVAILABLE PUPPIES AND ADULTS listed below for litters that are due to be born and those that may be ready to leave plus our important information.
WE ARE A REGISTERD KENNEL WHICH IS INSPECTED EVERY YEAR PLUS WE DO PASS A POLICE CHECK EVERY THREE YEARS TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH SAFE AND RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE HERE AT WINTERHAVEN.
As of 2019 I am a Member in good standing for 29 years with The Canadian Kennel Club. A Member and Director of The Pomeranian Club of Canada, and past member of The Pomeranian Club of Ontario.
I do strive to breed to exceptional bloodlines and I am very fortunate to have acquired outstanding breeding Pomeranians that are representive of the Breed Standard.
Before I breed any of my Pomeranians I look at each dog to evaluate the good attributes as well as the bad. I find that Line Breeding is very important to stamp in type, movement, hips, temperment, good head, eyes, great bone and genetic inheretance such as bite, ears, correct double coat as well as soundness, style and showmanship.
It is incredibly important to know what faults, weakness and strengths each dog produces.
A great deal of love, time, effort, other breeder's quality bloodlines, money & showing these precious Pomeranians have all helped to continue to improve my lines. Indeed this is not a part time job or little effort.
All our Pomeranians are Registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, Vet checked and kept up to date on all their shots and health care.
Correct Conformation and Superb Temperment is a must and our Pomeranian's deep rich coats are indeed beautiful.
We do NOT SELL ANY OTHER BREED OF DOGS. WE DO NOT ALLOW ANY OF OUR INFORMATION TO BE USED ON ANY OTHER BREEDERS WEBSITES OR INFORMATION OR ADVERTISING SITES. WE ONLY BREED CANADIAN KENNEL CLUB REGISTERED POMERANIANS. NO MIXED BREEDS.
We are NOT A BOARDING KENNEL. However we will will be pleased to care for Pom puppies or adults that we have placed while their owners are travelling.
Winterhaven Studs are not available for public stud services but their puppies are available to approved loving homes only.
WINTERHAVEN is proud to have placed the titles of CHAMPION/GRAND CHAMPION
on the following Pomeranians:
1. CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN'S TIMBITS IMAGE SOLD
2. CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN'S SONG FOR SUGARLAMB SOLD
3. CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN'S MAKIN It HAPPEN SOLD
4. CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN R LOVE AFFAIR SOLD
5. CANADIAN CHAMPION DAYSTAR NOT THE BOSS OF ME SOLD
6. CANADIAN CHAMPION DAYSTAR KURSDA RAGS TO RICHES-also pointed in the US DECEASED
7. CANADIAN and AMERICAN CHAMPION DAYSTAR BAREFOOT IN THE PARK DECEASED
8. CANADIAN and AMERICAN CHAMPION POMHAVEN THE HEAT IS ON DECEASED
9. CANADIAN and AMERICAN CHAMPION POMHAVEN THE BEAT GOES ON WINS BEST BRED BY-DECEASED
10.CANADIAN CHAMPION POMHAVEN MOON SHADOW SOLD
11.CANADIAN CHAMPION DAYSTAR PENNY LANE-also pointed in the US SOLD
12.CANADIAN CHAMPION POMHAVEN JUST DO IT-also pointed in the US DECEASED
WINTERHAVEN LIL CHANTILLY LACE - pointed in Canada SOLD
WINTERHAVEN THE ULTIMATE FANCY-pointed in Canada SOLD
WiINTERHAVEN JUSTANUF-pointed in Canada SOLD
13.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN THE LADIES MAN - MULTI WINS over SPECIALS and MULTI BEST BRED BY WINS
14.CANADIAN CHAMPION DRU'S DREAM SENSATION won MULI PUPPY GROUPS as a Senior Puppy.
WINTERHAVEN HOW TO IMPRESS-pointed in Canada-SOLD
15.CANADIAN CHAMPION DRU'S WAIT AND C AT WINTERHAVEN WINING A GROUP 3 AND PUPPY GROUP SOLD And WON in 2019 at 7 yrs old her CKC RALLY TITLE with her new owner!!!!
16.CANADIAN CHAMPION DRU'S BRAND NEO BEGINNINGS
17.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN GUY SETS THE BEAT- MULTI WINS over SPECIALS SOLD
WINTERHAVEN LORINDA'S OWN BEAT- pointed in Canada-SOLD
18.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER-MULTI WINS
19.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN IM THE MAN - SOLD
20.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN CHASIN DREAMS-MULTI PUPPY GROUP WINS SOLD
21.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN MAN ABOUT TOWN wins over two Special, becomes a Special & wins
22.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN WISH UPON A STAR STARTS HIS SHOW CAREER BY WINNING BEST BRED BY EXHIBITOR IN SHOW UNDER RESPECTED JUDGE MR. PAUL JEAN KERIHUEL. His first week out at 10 months old and kept winning until his Championship.
23.CANADIAN CHAMPION PINECREST NO SHRINKING VIOLET-I was very plesed to to have the fun of showing Violet who HAS BEAUTIFUL MOVEMENT-owner Catherine Bolahood.
WINTERHAVEN CHESADORABLE -first show at 7 months 2 point win. SOLD
24.CANADIAN CHAMPION POMHAVEN'S SHOGUN WARRIOR winning a GROUP 4TH and his Championship his 2nd show out.
25. MULTI. BEST PUPPY IN GROUP BEST BABY PUPPY IN SHOW CANADIAN GRAND CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN R IMPRESSIVE BARRON
26.CANADIAN CHAMPION POMYWOODS PERFECT PERFECTION-first time out at six months and finished in one week! SOLD
WINTERHAVEN LOVE HAS NO LIMITS POINTED IN CANADA
27.CANADIAN CHAMPION WINTERHAVEN UNFORGETABLE AVA STARTS BY WINNING MULITI BABY PUPPY SHOWS and finished her Championship in no time.
28.CANADIAN CHAMPION PINECREST IMPOSSIBLE TO IGNORE "Raeylnn" fiished at 11 month old and owned by Sandra Beisel.
OUR CHAMPIONS CAN BE SEEN ON MY WEBSITE www.winterhaven.ca UNDER OUR STUDS & OUR GIRLS.
PHOTOS OF AVAILABLE PUPPIES AND ADULTS ARE SENT TO SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY BUT I PERFER TO HAVE PEOPLE SEE THE PUPPIES.
It has been proven that dogs are beneficial in prisons, hospitals, institutions, visitation in nursing homes, during counselling secsions and in child treatment centres. Dogs make us feel like them .....SPECIAL, we feel calm and they give us much needed joy and confidence.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TEACUP POODLE. THERE ARE 3 SIZES: TOY, MINIATURE AND STANDARD.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TEACUP CHIHUAHUA. THERE ARE 2 VARIETES: SMOOTH COAT AND LONG COAT. YO QUIERO, TACO BELL.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TEACUP YORKIE. THE BREED STANDARD IS 7LBS. IF IT IS LARGER THAN THAT IT IS SIMPLY A BIGGER YORKIE.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TEACUP OR MINI POMERANIAN. IT IS A TOY BREED WITH A BREED STANDARD OF 3-7LBS. IT IS A POMERANIAN PERIOD.
THERE IS NO TEACUP ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR A TEACUP-WHICH YOU DRINK TEA OUT OF.
DEAR PUPPY BUYER,
AS A DOG BREEDER, ANIMAL HEALTH IS MY TOP PRIORITY. THAT'S WHY NUVET PLUS IMMUNE SYSTEM BUILDER IS REQUIRED AS PART OF YOUR PET'S HEALTH GUARANTEE. TO INSURE YOUR PUPPY GETS OFF TO THE RIGHT START, THEY HAVE BEEN ENJOYING NUVET PLUS EVERY DAY AS A TREAT (THEY LOVE THE TASTE). CONTINUING THIS DAILY REGIMEN IS THE EASIEST AND BEST WAY TO KEEP YOUR PET ON THE PATH TO PERFECT HEALTH.
HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOGS AND CATS ARE USING NUVET PLUS TO SUPPORT THEIR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND PROVIDE OPTIMAL HEALTH. A STRONG IMMUNE SYSTEM WILL PROTECT THEM FROM ENVIRONMENTAL AND FOOD TOXINS SUCH AS BACK YARD PESTICIDES, HORMONES, GERMS FROM PUBLIC PLACES, AND EVEN TOXIC FORMALDEHYDE IN FURNITURE AND CARPETING,
THIS IS NOT A VITAMIN. IT IS A IMMUNE SYSTEM BUILDER WITH A PRECISE BALANCE OF VITAMINS, MINERALS, OMAGA FATTY ACIDS AND HIGH POTENCY ANTIOXIDANTS. THAT IS WHY IT WORKS SO WELL THROUGH ALL THREE STAGES OF A DOGS LIFE.
* FOR PUPPIES-FILLS THE IMMUNITY GAP ALL PUPPIES EXPERIENCE SHORTLY AFTER BIRTH MATERNAL ANTIBODY EFFECTIVNESS IS GREATLY REDUCED. BY 8 WEEKS YOUR PUPPY'S IMMUNE SYSTEM IS AT A VULNERABLE POINT. ONCE IN THEIR NEW HOME, THE IMMUNE SYSTEM IS WEAKENED BY THE STRESS OF ADOPTION AND EXPOSURE TO NOVEL BACTERIA AND VIRUSES IN THEIR ENVIROMNMENT. THIS IS ALSO WHEN THE VACCINE SERIES IS STARTED. VACCINES ARE MOST EFFECTIVE IF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM CAN RESPOND PROPERLY. STARTING NUVET PLUS NOW IS IMPORTANT TO HELPING YOUR PUPPY GROW INTO A HEALTHY ADULT.
*FOR DOGS IN THEIR PRIME-IMPROVES THE LUSTER OF THEIR SKIN AND COAT WHILE PROVIDING THE NECESSARY ANTIOXIDENTS, AMINO ACIDS, VITAMINS AND MORE TO SUSTAIN THEIR BODY'S PEAK PERFORMANCE DURING THE PRIME OF THEIR LIVES.
*FOR OLDER DOGS-HELPS PROVIDE THE NUTRITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO HELP THEM LIVE LONG HAPPY AND PRODUCTIVE LIVES IN THEIR SENIOR YEARS.
NUVET PLUS IS NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES, AND IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC WITH AN ORDER CODE FROM AN AUTHORIZED PET PROFESSIONAL.
FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, YOU MAY ORDER DIRECTLY FROM THE MANUFACTURER BY CALLING 1-800-747-7044 AND USING ORDER CODE 77057 SAVE AN ADDITIONAL 15% AND ASSURE YOU NEVER RUN OUT OF NUVET PLUS BY CHOOSING THE "AUTO SHIP" OPTION AT CHECKOUT. PLEASE ORDER PRIOR TO PICKING UP YOUR PUPPY. Thank You, Sandra Beisel
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR CONTACTING ME, OUR POMERANIANS ARE VERY LOVELY AND I WISH I COULD SHARE EVEN MORE BABIES AND OLDER TREASURES WITH MOST OF YOU BUT WE DO SELECT BREEDINGS- QUALITY NOT QUANITY. DO PLEASE KEEP A CHECK FOR MY NEW POSTINGS.
WINTERHAVEN PUPPIES are Mico-chipped,Wormed,treated with Revolution and Examined by our Veterinarian for the following: General Appearance, Skin/Integument, Musculosketal, Digestive, Respiratory, Circulatory, Weight, Ears, Eyes, Nervous System, Lymph Nodes, Clef Pallet, Patellas, Hernias, Heart Murmer, Normal Jaw Alignment and Testicles.
Each puppy will have its first set of Vaccinations and the new owner will have all Records of any other Treatments such as Revulation etc. Puppies will be started with pee pads/newspaper training. They leave with Royal Canin Dog Food food that the puppy is use to, a new toy, a blanket that he/she has slept on, pee pads, treats, from the Vet for teeth care, plus a 6 week Pet Plan Insurance Policy and last but not least a book on Care, Nutrition, Training, Health Care and First Aid.
For continued good health we do advise new owners to continue to feed Royal Canin Dog Food. We do not Guarantee Coats or Temperments. Our Pomeranians leave here with correct coats and wonderful temperments, however we have found that some people feed and care for the puppies different from what they are use to which can create changes in coats & temperments. Please be careful and do not feed treats or food from China, keep all meds out of reach as well as garbage & unsafe toys. There is NO GUARANTEE AGAINST ACCIDENTS. NO VETERINARY BILL WILL BE PAID BY THE BREEDER ONCE A POMERANIAN LEAVES WINTERHAVEN KENNEL.
GREAT CARE HAS BEEN TAKEN TO PRODUCE A HEALTHY AND SOUND TEMPERMERMENT POMERANIAN HERE AT WINTERHAVEN BY STUDYING AND CHOOSING THE VERY BEST BLOODLINES AVAILABLE. PROPER NUTRITION, NOT CHEAP FOOD, VET CARE, SHOW COSTS AND ENDLESS HOURS OF CARE FOR PARENTS AND THEIR BABIES. It may be easier to find a cheaper puppy but you may also end up with horrible Vet costs and heartache.
ALL OUR PET POMERANIANS ARE SOLD ON A NON BREEDING CONTRACT ONLY AND MUST BE SPAYED/NEUTERED BY THE OWNER AT THEIR COST. READ MY CONTRACT ON MY WEBSITE www.winterhaven.ca AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION UNDER AVAILABLE PUPPIES AND ADULTS.
THE PUPPY WILL BE REGISTEREDI N YOUR NAME WITH THE CANADIAN KENNEL CLUB AND THE REGISTRATION PAPERS WILL BE SENT TO YOU . EACH PUPPY WILL LEAVE WITH A PET PLAN INSURANCE POLICY THAT IS APPROVED BY THE CANADIAN KENNEL CLUB. PUPPIES DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL THEY ARE VET CHECKED AND HAVE HAD THEIR FIRST SET OF SHOTS AND ARE AT LEAST 9 WEEKS OLD. VERY SMALL PUPPIES SHOULD NOT LEAVE UNTIL THEY ARE OLDER.
OUR OUALITY PET POMERANIANS FROM CHAMPION PARENTS AND WITH CHAMPION BLOODLINES IN THEIR PEDIGREES ARE EVALUATED AND PRICED ACCORDINGLY TO GO TO THE BEST HOMES POSSIBLE. OUR PET PUPPIES START AT $3,500.00 ON NON BREEDING CONTRACTS.
IF TEETH CLEANING FOR OLDER POMERANIANS, SPAY OR NEUTERING ARE DONE WITH MY VET THERE WILL BE VET COSTS ADDED. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CARE FOR THE PUPPIES TEETH AND SPAY OR NEUTER.
A NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF $500.00 WILL HOLD A PUPPY FOR YOU UNTIL THE PUPPY IS OLD ENOUGH TO LEAVE AT 9 WEEKS OF AGE. BALANCE OF PAYMENT DUE WHEN PUPPY IS PICKED UP. NO VISA OR CHEQUES. CASH PAYMENTS ONLY. YOU WILL RECIEVE A RECIEPT OF PAYMENT.
UPON PICK UP OF PUPPY YOU WILL RECIEVE A COPY OF ANY VET CHECKS OR TREATMENTS, AND SHOTS FOR THE PUPPY SIGNED BY OUR VET.
COUPONS FOR ROYAL CANIN FOODTO BUY AS WELL AS SOME OF THIS FOOD TO TAKE HOME.
SOME DENTAL T/D FOOD FOR THE PUPPY'S TEETH WHICH WE ORDER FROM OUR VET.
A BLANKET THAT THE PUPPY IS FAMILIAR WITH SLEEPING ON.
A NEW TOY.
A BOOK ON HOW TO TRAIN AND CARE FOR YOUR NEW PUPPY.
SOME PEE PADS TO HELP YOU GET STARTED.
YOU WILL ALSO RECIEVE A SAMPLE AND INFORMATION OF NUVET PLUS PLUS WHICH ALL OUR POMERANIANS ARE ON TO INSURE THEIR IMMUNE SUPPORT SYSTEM AFTER LEAVING THEIR MOTHERS. iT IS AN ALL NATURAL HUMANE-GRADE INGREDIENTS. YOU CAN ORDER NUVET PLUS BEFORE YOU GET YOUR PUPPY TO CONTINUE THROUGOUT HIS LIFE BY CALLING 1-800-474-7044 ORDER CODE 77057. iT WILL ARRIVE TO YOUR HOME AND PAYMENT WILL BE MADE DIRECTLY TO NUVET PLUS.
We do ship our Pomeranian but perfer not by cargo and not in the winter. Flight Bookings, Crate and Travel Cost to Airport are extra. To ship to the US puppies must be 4 months of age and have their Rabies shots.
SHOW POMERANIANS are much desired and we will be pleased to discuss their possibilities and price.
Occasionally we have "retired" Poms available on a non breeding contract. Prices range from $575.00 to $900.00 and up. Our retired Pom's ages range from 6 to 9 years old. All our Poms are Vet Checked and up to dates on Vaccinations, Micro-chipped and Registered with CKC, but some may need another cleaning of teeth. Teeth cleaning can be done with my Vet if you wish at Vet costs.
I look forward to meeting you, sharing, and showing you my wonderful friends/treasures and helping you find your forever puppy or older companion. Our time spent with our Poms is 24/7 - we will return your calls and emails as soon as possible.
AVOID any products containing artificial ingredients, colors or chemicial preservatives like BHA and BHT-they have been linked to cancer. Artificial ingredients are not recoginized by the body as food and may cause digestive upset or other problems.
AVOID RAWHIDE TREATS-they can cause intestinal blockage and contain toxic chemicals from their processing. Treats made or sourced in CHINA should be avoided due to the history of questionable products coming from that region. Treats made with added synthatic vitamins and minerals may end up ingesting too high of a particular nutrient and that can be toxic. Treats containing Oil of Oregano has a natural antibiotic that can aid in destroying bacteria leading to dental plaque, gingivitis, and pernodontitis. Here at WINTERHAVEN our Poms get Hills Dental Care t/d small bites from our Vet. They look like round balls and all our Poms love them.
HOUSE TRAINING A PUPPY DEPENDS ON YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE FIRST 4-5 DAYS. No puppy is stupid or dirty. It is YOU who must take responsibility from the very begining. Take a puppy out as soon as he/she awakens-speak softly and reasuring , ignore any wet spots, do not scold the puppy-it does absolutely NO GOOD. Quietly but quickly pick the puppy up and carry him directly from the crate or pen to THE SAME POTTY PLACE inside or outside every time. Do this first thing in the morning and make it the last thing at night you do before going to bed. You must also take him out or put the puppy in an xpen set up with a pee pad that he can use after play or eating. Naps, play, eating all stimulates the bladder and bowel. Puppies like children have multiple bowel movements in a day. Don't distract the puppy until he has taken time to sniff around for that perfect spot to finally go. When the puppy is almost done praise him/her with excitment in your voice telling them what a good puppy you are.
Puppies learn quickly. Consistent training will be a blessing when its raining or stormy. Let the puppy explore, play in the yard for 30 minutes, put him back in his xpen with crate, give him/her favorite toy or chew bone and let him relax or go to sleep. This will also teach them they can be seperate from you. Remember a puppy cannot hold it all day-plan how you will allow the puppy to empty his bowel and bladder while you are away.
It is a lot of responsibility, you are creating a lifetime of care and personal comfort for this little puppy -its a lot harder to train PEOPLE to do exactly what you want!!!
Before you take your puppy or adult home it is very important to do the following:
* Keep all household cleaners and chemicals out of any animals reach.
* Remember that Poinsettias, Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Dumb Cane, Japanese Yew, Oleander, Pine Cones and English Ivy are dangerous to dogs.
* Store breakable items out of reach.
* Hide or cover electrical cords so they cannot be chewed.
* Antifreeze, Engine Oil, Laundry Detergents, Lawn Chemicals and some Mulch can kill your pets.
* Macadamia Nuts, Onions, Chocolate, Coco, Rasins, Grapes and Avocadoes can be fatal to your pet.
* Keep children's toys off the floor-some small parts may be swallowed by your dog.
* Use a cover and/or protective fencing if you have a pool or hot tub. Puppies can squeeze through small openings.
* Never give ice water or ice for dogs to chew on. This can cause muscle spasm in the stomach or bloat both painful and possible death.
Be aware of Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in small breed dogs. This is a central nervous system disorders caused by low blood sugar. It occurs mainly in toy breeds between 6 and 12 weeks of age, although it can also occur in older animals. Often it is precipitated by stress.
The first signs are listlessness and depression, followed by musxular weakness, tremors, later convulations, coma and death. Pay attention and get to know your dog as the entire sequence is not always seen. The dog may appear to be depressed or weak, wobbly and jerky or the puppy may be found in a coma.
Hypoglycenmia can occur without warning when a puppy is placed in a new home, or when being shipped. It could be due to a puppy missing a meal, or perhaps gets a chill, becomes exhausted from too much playing or has a digestive upset.
Puppies that are weaned on rice and hamburger are more likely to develop hypoglycemia. This diet is deficient in certain ingredients needed to sustain the liver. Your Breeder should give advice on feeding your new puppy & supply you with some feed that your puppy is use to eating.
TREATMENT: Restore blood levels of glucose, begin at once. Prolonged or repeated attacks can cause permanent damage to the brain. If the puppy is awake, give Karo syrup, honey, or Nutri-Cal by mouth. You should begin to see improvement in 30 minutes. If unconscious, a puppy will have to be given a dextrose solution intravenously. It may be necessary to treat for swelling of the brain. If unconscious CALL and head to your Veterinarian AT ONCE.
Prevent recurrence attacks by feeding a high quality kibble diet and add Nutri-Cal. Make sure your puppy has food available & gets to eat every few hours. Owners of toy puppies should not let anyone over tire the puppy. Children should be made aware that this is a live baby & needs to be gently cared for.
You should have stainless steel water and feed bowls that do not tip over for your new puppy. Take your puppy to be fitted for a safe harness and lead. A brush and comb, safe toys. A dog bed for sleeping at night, a crate for travelling. Buy an xpen for a safe place for your puppy to be while you are busy or dog gate to prevent the puppy from being near stairs or other harmful places.
Normal Healthy pets are alert, curious & responsive. If a pet is depressed, response is slow to sight or touch stimulation or relucent to move CALL Your VET.
Signs are loss of skin elastricty. The longer the skin takes to spring back to the body the more the dehydration. If the gums in the dogs mouth feel sticky it needs attention quickly. If the GUMS are DRY/PALE it is CRITICAIL-Get to a VET.
Your dogs gums should be a healthy pink. Pale to white gums-MEANS SHOCK- Get to a VET. Blue gums-sufforation-Get to a VET. Bright Cherry Red gums-Carbon Monoxiade Poisoning-Get to a VET. Yellow Gums- Liver Problems-Call a VET.
Normal Temperature for a dog: 100-102.5 degrees fahrenheit.
Below 99 & over 104 indiacte that your dog is indeed ill.
REMEMBER THAT YOUR DOGS CANNOT DO A LOT OF THINGS FOR THEMSELVES AND THAT THEY DEPEND ON YOU TO MAKE THEIR LIFE A QUALITY LIFE.
DO NOT SHAVE POMERANIANS because they are double coated. Shaving could ruin their coat forever.
A double coated dog is any dog with a harsh outer coat and a soft undercoat. The soft undercoat is what sheds. These two coats grow independently of one another and to different lengths. The outer coat is longer and grows slower. The undercoat is shorter and grows faster and sheds twice a year. YOU SHOULD NOT SHAVE A DOUBLE COATED DOG SUCH AS A POMERANIAN.
1. The double coated dogs have sensitive skin. Your dog may come home with razor burn, irritated skin and can be sunburned. Their thick hair protects the dog from the sun, bug bites and things it can pick up in the grass. Shaving can cause hot spots, make them lick excessevely and make them miseriable.
2. Shaving the dog does NOT make them shed less. Double coated dogs shed twice a year and that is undercoat. The rest of the time the sheding is normal hair turn over, just like people. Shaving them does not prevent this from happening. It damages the coat. Have your dog groomed on a schedule to remove all the dead undercoat to provide a healthy coat.
3. SHAVING permanently damges the condition of the coat. The under coat is short and dense and the outer coat is longer, glossy and harsher hair. The undercaot is all that is left when you shave a dog and as it grows faster than the outer coat, it takes a very long time for the outer coat to catch up if at all. NOW THERE IS NO OUTER COAT TO PROTECT THE UNDER COAT WHICH BECOMES BRITTLE, BREAKS OFFF AND NO SHINY GLOSSY HAIR ON YOUR DOG. Some dogs never grow the under coat back properly leaving the coat sparse and ugly. It damges the cycle of the hair making shedding time unpredictable.
4. If you do not like hair research before buying. The hair of a dog serves a purpose and is part of the package.
5. The undercoat provides insulation in the winter and cools the dog in the summer. A well groomed dog with no dead undercoat keeps the dog warm in the winter by providing and keeping the skin dry. In the summer it provides a sort of air conditioning system, keeping the dog cool. This means he needs to be not shaved. The dog is not going to be hot with all that hair-its actually keeping the dog cool and protected. If the dog is not shaved or serverly matted, his coat will do the job and keep his temperature regulated.
6. A SHAVED DOG looks bad, the under coat is dull and dense and not visually appealing. A dog in full, beautiful flowing coat is much more attractive. Shaving makes you stand out as a dog owner who is not doing their research or the best thing for their dog.
7. SHAVING is never to the Breed Standard-THE DOUBLE COAT exists for a reason. Be proud of your dog and his glorious coat and how educated you are on why he needs that coat.
8. SHAVING increases the amount of allergers on the dog's skin. Shaving because you are allergic does not make sense. The dander of the dog is what you are allergic to and having it right on the surface is not going to help your allergies. Having the dog groomed will keep up with the dander and the loose dead hair and this will help.
9. I will NEVER shave a dog. A dog cannot tell you that shaving him makes him uncomfortably hot or gives him pain or sunburn but I can and hope to educate as many owners as possible.
Please Note all human drugs are not safe for your dog or puppy. I am not a Veterinarian, always consult with your Veterinarian first. This is a list of some DRUGS that are NOT SAFE:
* Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
* Phenolphthalein (laxative)
* Iron Supplements
* Vitamin D Supplements
* Nebuliser medications (for asthma)
* Coffe and Tea
* Cannabis or other illegal drugs
* Cholesterol Drugs
* Thyroid Drugs-unless directed by a Vet
* ACE Inhibitors
* Birth Control Pills
* Benzodiazepines and Sleep Aids
* ADHD Medication
These drugs can cause serious illness and are potentially fatal. Keep human and dog drugs in different locations. It's easy to grab the wrong bottle if they're next to each other on the shelf.
If you carry drugs in your bag or purse, place it someplace high. If you use a seven-day pill container, store it out of reach. Dogs often think it's a toy.
Do Not assume children's medicine is safe. Species differences are significant enough that medications safe for children can still harm or kill dogs.
Onions, Cheery Stones and Grapes are deadly for dogs causing liver damage and kidney failure.
Also remember Spring can be harmful to your pets with such things as toxic bulbs including tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, certain lilies, crocus and lily of the valley. Harmful fertilizers and ground cover include cocoa mulch, bloodmeal, bonemeal and any fertilizer that contains disulfoton or organophosphates. CALL YOUR VET OR THE POSION PET HELP LINE Canada 888-232-8870 US 855-764-7661.
HOILDAY SAFETY TIPS FOR PETS
* NEW YEAR'S fun noise-makers can frighten your pet causing the pet to bolt out an open door or window in search of safety. Confetti can be ingested, causing havoc to the digestive tract.
* VALENTINE'D DAY. Some flowers and plants can be toxic to animals. Chocolate contains theoboromine and can cause serious illness and is often fatal to pets.
* EASTER, the colorful Easter "grass", chocolates, tiny Easter toys, plastic items can create havoc to a pet's digestive system.
* ST PATRICK'S DAY. Alcoholic beverages are toxic to our pets.
* HALLOWEEN. Make sure all pets are inside during the night of Halloween, keep your pets away from the doors. Foil wraps on candies can cause internal injuries. Foil wrapped candy can be like a razor as it is swallowed. Keep all candies in a secured place. Candles can be knocked over, spilling hot wax, causing serious burns. Costumes which have rubber bands can be accidently left on pets. The pet could chew off and swallow them, causing chocking or intestinal injuries. The bands can become embedded into the pet's flesh.
* IMPORTANT: Six to eight weeks before Halloween each year is extremely dangerous for all animals, but especially cats.....Please, PLEASE take additioanl precautions to make sure your cats or other pets are safe during this holiday season, especially black cats.
* THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS. Watch hot containers filled with turkey and ham drippings. Tipped containers can cause servere scalding and burns. Do not feed the cooled drippings, it upsets pet's digestive systems. Do not feed even a taste of left over turkey and stuffing-onions can lead to anenia in dogs and fatty rich foods can cause pancreatitis.
* Do Not give your pet large quanities of cooked turkey and ham during the holidays. Poulty bones are dangerous, splintered bones cause pain and sometimes death.
* Lovely bubbling holiday lights are moderate to lethal toxicity, depending on the amount of fluid (methylene chloride) inhaled or ingested.
* Please DO NOT use angel hair (spun glass)- low toxicity; can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and gastrointinal tract. Artifical snow and snow flock also has low toxicity.
* Hang treasured ornaments higher on the Christmas tree. Tinsel is not toxic, but if ingested, intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems.
* Fireplace colors (fire salts) - moderate toxicity; symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting, including convulsions.
* Keep gift ribbons and bows out of sight to prevent chewing and swallowing. Ribbons tied around pets necks can tighted resulting in chocking or they can hang themselves if the ribbon is caught on an object.
* Replace metal ornament hooks with tightly knotted fabric 1/4 inch ribbons, light weight twine or yarn to slip easily over the branches of the tree.
* Keep all pets securley indoors during fireworks displays. The frightening noise and the danger of exploding fireworks are hazardous to your pet.
* Christmas Ivy is moderate to very toxic, all parts of holly - moderate to very toxic especially the berries and leaves; mistieoe - very toxic, all parts especially the berries. Christmas greens such as balsam, juniper, ceder, pine and fir - all parts have a low level of toxicity; hibiscus may cause vomiting or bloodly diarrhea if ingested. Poinsettias, leaves and stems low in toxicity. It is wise to keep plants out of reach of children and pets.
* PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ANY ANIMAL OF ANY AGE AS EASTER OR CHRISTMAS GIFTS. The first weeks of a new life/home for a puppy or sudden change in an adult pet is extremely traumatic for them. You need time, peace and quiet to spend with your new life-time commitment.
*Sweetener XYLITOL in candy, sugar free gum, mints, some brands of toothpaste, certain medications and vitamins, sugar free chocolate, jello, yogurt, puddings baby wipes, lip balm and baked goods can make a mess of a dogs metabolism. XYLITOL IS 100% MORE TOXIC FOR DOGS THAN CHOCOLATE. CALL/TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET. PET POISON HELP LINE CANADA 888-232-8870, US 855-764-7661.
The dog's pancreas confuses XYLITOL with real sugar and releases insulin to stop it. The insulin removes real sugar from the bloodstream and the dog becomes weak, has tremers and seizures within 30 minutes of eating it, poor coordination, vomiting/diarrhea, liver failure and death. Some symptoms can also take as much as 8 hours to show up. It only takes a very little amount of XYLITOL to receive a deadly dose. Your dog NEEDS TO HAVE HIS BLOOD SUGAR STABILIZED, HAVE INTREVENAUS FLUIDS AND OTHER THERAPIES TO TREAT THESE SYMPTOMS. DO NOT WAIT CALL A VET. Protect your dog-read ingredients, keep visiting guests purses out of reach. Be aware of household product. Keep all candies out of reach.
THE MOST COMMON SIGNS THAT YOUR DOG IS STRESSED OR IN PAIN. GET ADVICE FROM A VET WHEN YOU SEE ANY OF THIS BEHAVIOR.
* activity increase/decrease
* cries when picked up or shows aggression
* destrutive behaviour
* eyes wide or held shut
* food or water increase/decrease
* inability to respond to cues
* lip licking
*sudden heavy panting
* sweat from pads
*excessive kicking or grooming a part of the body
*behavior changes, your dog may not want ot walk up or down stairs, avoids jumping or chasing after a toy. Clear signs are limping but watch for stiffeness or arched backs. Dogs in pain often lay only flat on their sides rather than curled up in their bed. They may be slower moving or sleep a lot more & become disenterested in things they use to love. Unexpected accidents in the house may mean it is very painful to get up from lying down or painful to walk towards the door or their dish. They cannot tell us so we must be aware of our dogs actions & give responsible care.
*Abnormal swellings that continue to grow
*Sores that never heal
*Loss of appetite
*bleeding or discharge from any opening in the body
*difficulty breathing, urinating and defecating
*difficulty eating or swalling
*loss of stamina or hesitation to exercise
*persistent stiffeness or lameness
Spaying or neutering, feeding quality dog food, regular Vet checks, avoid cigeratte smoke, dangerous houshold cleaners and fumes are ways to help prevent Cancer in dogs.
Roundworm eggs passed in the feces of dogs and cats can cause a disease in humans called Yisceral Larva Migrans (VLM). The eggs are microsscopic and live on the ground in the yard or playground, on the coat of a pet or neighbourhood animal.
If the eggs hatch in someone's intestines, tiny wormlike larvae are released. These can penetrate the walls of the intestines and move throughout the body doing damage to many of the body's organs. Severe infections can result in eye injury, heart or kidney damage, pneumonia or nervous disorder. A mild case may involve muscle aches or diarrhea and cramps, or might have no symptoms at all.
Pain in a particular organ of the body could be the first sign of roundworm infection. The doctor should be told about any contact with pets or animal feces-particularly for children who are in the habit of eating dirt. Once the doctor knows what to look for, a roundworm infestation can be discovered without difficulty and treatment can be prescribed.
Check yard and play areas-make sure they are kept free of animal feces. Sand boxes should be covered when they're not being used. Children should wash their hands after playing with pets. The eggs need to mature in animal feces before they're infectious, so it is important to clean up fresh stool before any eggs can get into the soil. It is important to know that puppies and kittens are much more likely to be infested with roundworms than an adult animals.
PET OWNERS SHOULD TAKE SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS BY:
NOT BUYING FROM A PUPPY MILL
BUY FROM A BREEDER THAT HAS PUPPIES, KITTENS OR ADULTS EXAMINED BY A VETERINARIAN AND SEE THE WRITTEN REPORT SIGNED BY THE VETERINARIAN. A VETERINARIAN WILL EASILY BE ABLE TO DETERMINE IF AN ANIMAL HAS ROUNDWORMS BY CHECKING A FRESH STOOL SAMPLE. IF THE ANIMAL IS INFESTED, A-WORMING DRUG WILL QUICKLY GET OF THE PROBLEM.
MAKING SURE YOUR CAT LITTER BOX IS CLEANED OUT REGULARLY. CHILDREN SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM ANY STOOLS. DO NOT LET YOUR PETS LICK FROM YOUR PLATE.
MAKING SURE THAT YOU CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG WHEREVER THEY DO THEIR BUSSINESS.
PETS ARE A GREAT PLEASURE FOR PEOPLE, AND NO ONE SHOULD THINK OF GETTING RID OF AN ANIMAL JUST BECAUSE OF CONCERN ABOUT ROUNDWORMS. HOWEVER, PET OWNERS CAN HELP EVERYONE BY FOLLOWING THESE SIMPLE PROCEDURES.
PLEASE STOP THE PUPPY MILLS BY NOT BUYING FROM A PET STORE. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.....ASK QUESTIONS, ARE THE PARENTS AND PUPPIES HAPPY, HEALTHY AND WELL CARED FOR?
MAKE SURE THE PUPPIES HAVE BEEN VET CHECKED AND HAVE HAD SHOTS, HAVE GOOD COATS AND STABLE TEMPERMENTS.
SEE ALL THE SIGNED PAPERWORK BY THE VET AND MAKE SURE IT MATCHES THE DOG/PUPPY ID NUMBERS.
BUY REGISTERD PUPPIES FROM A REPUTABLE BREEDER.
MAKE SURE THE PARENTS ARE REGISTERED WITH THE CANADIAN KENNEL CLUB
YOU MAY BUY A PUPPY FOR LESS AT A PUPPY MILL BUT SPEND MORE IN VET BILLS AND HEARTACHE.
Also known as BSD ( black skin disease). It is a condition which affects a number of Nordic breeds resulting in hair loss. THIS IS NOT A SICK DOG.
This condition to date has not be found to be under control but research is being done to help prevent this problem. BSD is not painful to the dog. You do not have to have the dog put down. They are still happy, playful, loving, active. and healthy. They do not die from this condition. Understanding people have given them loving homes and their dogs sport many a fine outfit to wear when out with their owners.
Winterhaven has supported the USA and Canada with donations for research to cure this condition in Pomeranians. We are doing our best to produce correct coats in our Pomeranians.
FOR HEALTHY SKIN AND COATS:
CHIA SEEDS-a rich source of B Vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, protein and zinc and packed with antioxidants.. Chia seeds are gluten free and nourishes skin from the inside out, because of its high levels of Omega-3 help combat chronice skin inflammation. Sprinke on food or mix 1/2 cup of Chia seeds and 2 cups of distilled water. Mix-leave for 10 minutes and serve. You can store in the Frig. and add some each day to their dog food or 3 TBS of Chia seeds with 1 cup Almond Milk, stir,leave for 10 minutes and serve. You can store in rerfrigerator. You can also sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and serve.
Eggs contain the most bioavailable protein. Gives hair strength and luster. Eggs contain lutein which helps keep skin hydrated and helps in tissue repair. The zinc in eggs supports skin health and shiny hair. Egg yolks are a valuable source of biotin, a B vitaminsometimes referred to as vitamin H or B7 which helps promote healthy skin and coats: hair loss, skin irritation, lesions and fungus can be the result of a biotin deficiency. Biotin/vitamin H can be effective in treating allergic reactions and skin conditions. Eggs contain vitamin A which helps repair cell damage and keeps skin healthy and coats glowing. Organic eggs provide Omega-3s to Omega-6s.
Organic Unsweetened COCONUT or coconut chips sprinkled on their food contains medium-chain saturated fats which are transformed into energy and contain special properties that act as anti-inflammatory agents to decrease bacterial growth, irritation and inflammation in the body. Eating raw coconut can reduce the severity of bacterial and inflammatory skin conditions. Coconut oil in small amounts can also be added to their food.
LIVER OR CHICKEN LIVER cooked-give small amounts to enhance skin health. Nutrients include calcium, phosphorus,magnesium, posassioum, iron, zinc, copper vitamins A B6, B12, C, D, and E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid and biotin.
WILD SALMON canned or cooked-never raw is best soursce of Omega-3's, supports the skin and coat, provides selenium.
CRANBERRIES treats a variety of ailments from rheumatoid disorders, scurvy and fever to skin wounds and eczema. Contains antioxidant proanthocyanidins, anthocyanins and ellagic acid. Anthocyanins have an anti-inflammatory action, and can help lessen allergic reactions in dogs..
SWEET POTATOES are considered a super food for skin. Contains vitamin A and beta-carotene. A great source of of vitamin E. Sweet potatoes also contain calcium, iron, folate, potassium, copper and thiamine. The vitamin C in sweet potoes helps accelerate healing and support collagen production.
CAROB rich in natural sugars and contains all the principal vitamins and minerals-calcium, phosophorous, iron, potassium, magnesium, sillica, vitamins A<B1, B2, niacin and protein. Requires no preparation, lasts a long time and needs no special storage requirements. Does not contain caffeine and theobromine found in chocolate so it is perfectly safe for dogs. Its vitamin E supports skin health and it has antiviral and antibacterial properties. Carob contains no oxalic acid, so it does not interfere with calcium absorption.
OATS are a strength giving cereal, low in starch and high in mineral content, especially potassium and phosphorus. Oats contain calcium, magnesium, B vitamins and iron. They support healthy skin and hair by supporting your dog's gastrointestinal system and helping remove toxins from the body.
ALWAYS USE IN MODEATION-NEVER OVER FEED YOUR DOG AND LET THEM HAVE EXERCISE AND ALWAYS FRESH WATER.
BE SAFE WITH YOUR DOGS IN THE SUN
Walk in early morning and eve. If your dog slows down, let them rest in a shaded area. Cool a dog by pouring water on their neck, pads of feet and belly before continuing the walk.
Make sure they have somewhere cool to sit and cool water NOT ICE WATER to drink. Cool wet cloths on paws and around the head can help cool down a dog.
SIGNS OF HEAT STROKE:
Excessive panting, darker or bright red tongue and gums, sticky or dry tongue and gums. Staggering, seizures, bloodly diarrhea or vomiting and rapid heart beat. I am not a Veterinarian and this is not intended as a substitute for veterinary care. CALL YOUR VET. Dogs die regularly from poorly handled heat problems. DON'T GUESS.
Your dog/horse/cat/gerbil/our thermostat is at the base of the head. So cooling the back of the head is a critical area. Your five point cooling chart is back of the head, underbelly, inside of the front legs, especially the armpit; inside of the hind legs, especially the groin-and if more severe, spine and rectum. Spraying or wiping down the belly and inside of the legs is important. Use Alcohol especially fro those who have humidity added to the heat, add 1/4 cup isopropyl to a large bowl of cool, NOT COLD WATER, and use a washcloth to wipe down those areas. Dilute if you use around the rectum. Avoid extremes of temperature if you have to cool an overheated dog these can cause shock and catapult a dog into crises. USE COOL WATER, NOT COLD. TEPID IS GOOD.
Soaking down a heavy coated dog can put them into heat crises. If that coat mats down-especially in HUMID areas, you have just created a thick matted blanket trapping heat in. If you have to soak a really heavy coated dog , large or small -you need to fluff that coat back out. If you don't have a doggy forced air dryer, put your hair dryer on cold and blow out especially the area all along the spine and back of the head.
Keep your dog groomed and get the old undercoat out for the dogs ability to cool. Hot spots can occur in less than 12 hours if hair matts down and traps heat close to the skin. Potential hot spots are the neck under collars, butt/rump area, below the rectum in thick feathers of coated dogs and between toes. Check those collars-make sure air can flow.
Buy a Thermometer and learn how to use it. Pups have a higher temp. than adult dogs and heat up faster. Seniors may have problems with heat dispersal for a variety of aging reasons. When in doubt, CALL YOUR VET.